Tuesday, March 13, 2007

Puttin' On An Apron


I am new to the world of aprons, sort of. I have worn one every school day for the last six years, but trust me, it's nothing to write about. They are a light canvas material of either red, navy blue or black. Bor-ing! Last fall I picked up a copy of MaryJane Butter's Idea Book... and discovered the world of vintage and lovely aprons. I connected immediately. I am a wife and mother and a proud housewife. I do work part time at the local school, but I am a HOUSEWIFE!!! (gasp!!) The apron connects us to the women who have paved the way before us. It really was a tool, a necessity, and especially in the 20th century, if it added a little color and fun to your day all the better.

The first apron I hung in my kitchen was a half apron with embroidery that my grandmother started and then passed to me. I finished the design and then hung it on a peg shelf. Then I purchased the cute lime green bib apron with butterfly pockets from a seller on E-Bay. I like to think that a sweet little farmwife made it in front of her fire years ago. (I'm a romantic optimist, what can I say?) Next, I received a beautiful half apron from my farmgirl friend Susyhomemaker. I was so excited to open my mail and receive that gift. Those and a hostess apron my mother found in her drawer all adorn my kitchen walls.

I haven't worn any of them except for trying on the gift from Suzyhomemaker. I might be afraid that my family would think I have finally taken that final plunge into the deep end. This morning though was different. Spring is in the air, I think it is actually above 60 degrees out right now. After a very cold two months and a couple of bouts with a sinus infection, I am ready to do some serious cleaning and rearranging. So after I took the kids to school this morning, I came home and grabbed an apron off the peg. INSTANTLY the homemaker vibes kicked in! There was just something about putting on the apron that said let's get at!! I just did the sweeping and a switch of the laundry, but I tell you, it was FUN in an apron!! Maybe it felt official, or pretty or who knows what, but I encourage you to try it. Put on an apron for those tedious little chores and see if it doesn't brighten your day!
~Blessings

9 comments:

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love aprons! I even make, embroider, and give away aprons! I love them for all the reasons you mentioned. Last night at our quilt guild meeting the speaker showed off a pretty pink apron that had been a gift to her, it was a handmade apron (probably from the 50's) with cocker spaniels on it... it was really cute. But, the best part? There was a matching little girl's apron that went with that AND a matching little dolly's apron,too!

Jean said...

Great post! I haven't worn an apron in years either. May have to give it a try!

~~Mikki Jo said...

I soooo love aprons. My grandmother always wore an apron. I buy just about every vintage apron I find.

Rita Loca said...

I love aprons! I know what you mean , they make me feel so much more "Homemakerish!" don't know if that is an English word or not but, you get the idea...lol

Mary L. Briggs said...

Oh, Bonnie, I love aprons, too! There is something so, housewifey about them. I am a proud housewife/homemaker myself! There's a little thrift store I go to and find them quite often for $1. Sometimes they are just too far gone to save, but I always look for them!

Anonymous said...

I love aprons too. If I don't have on bib overalls at home I have on an apron. I consider them my uniform. Proudly. Arn't they fun!!????
love, Aunt Jenny

Unknown said...

I love aprons also, but don't ever wear them, I think I own 2, but I love the vintage ones, and maybe I'll find or make one perfect for gardening? Glad to see your still posting!

Alpicks Treasures said...

Aprons can show how your feeling that day? Mine has sunflowers on it and I feel more energized when I wear it.

Ellen said...

Dear B,
Are the red blue and black aprons at work the school colors?
My favorite apron is blue with big white polka dots. I like feeling like the circus is in town. See this clown, who made balloon animals always wore blue with white polka dots, this apron makes me feel like the circus is in town. I smile just looking at the apron. I am pretty much a cook for the clowns under our big tent here. I love this time of year the circus winters in FL and we get lots of cool shows. does the circus come to your town?