I know Christmas is over, but I just can't put this book down! My mother had bought it first for a childhood friend of mine that she always buys a book for. On the phone mother tells me that the book includes Christmas stories by Dickens, Alcott, Tolstoy, O Henry and then she named stories that were included. "O, I would love that, I am ashamed to say that I have never read those." Whether she went out and bought another, or had already bought a copy for me, I do not know, but my friend and I both received a copy of The Greatest Christmas Stories of All Time.
I am a sucker for a beautiful book. I don't mean the insides only, I mean the cover. And this book is gorgeous. Then to open it up and find that the FIRST story is the Birth of the Christ Child in Luke 1:1-2:40 simply melted my heart. The introduction to this account is so God inspired that I am still reading it over. It is worth the cost of the book.
The stories have been rich. I have read Dicken's the Christmas Carol for the first time. There is a story called The Other Wise Man by Henry Van Dyke that includes the quote, "It is better to follow even a shadow of the best than to remain content with the worst. And those who would see wonderful things must often be ready to travel alone." Talk about words that could change my thinking!
So although I know reading material is a matter of taste I highly and heartily recommend this book. There are about 46 stories in here, from the well known "Twas the Night Before Christmas" to stories you may have never heard of but will be glad you found!
Be blessed! :)http://www.christianbook.com/Christian/Books/product_slideshow?sku=719535&actual_sku=719535
1 comment:
Bonnie,
You book sounds wonderful!
I have a book called I'll be home for Christmas. It is put out by Good Old Days/ House of White Birches.
It is full of personal Christmas stories of long ago.
If you like Christmas then I think you might enjoy this one too.
Lindy
Post a Comment