Monday, January 15, 2007

Choices

That is a picture of my grandfather plowing his field a little more than 50 years ago. My Great Grandparents, grandparents and their 8 children all lived on a large dairy farm in NY. In the late 1960's, my great grandfather died so my great grandmother sold the farm. Word is she never offered it to her children or grandchildren. I know my father in some ways has always missed the farm, but he also doesn't know if at 20 years old he had much interest in being a farmer. He really wasn't big on the animals. He loved the fields and equipment. He has always been able to buy and fix tractors and plow and plant, so he really had the part of farming that he loved. It's just fun to think of how different life would have been if the choices everyone had made would have been different.
It's often daunting to think of how many people our choices affect, so many times we don't think of that at all. But many times we should think of it more. I am not talking about the farm. Great Grandma's choice to sell may have made a difference in many people's lives, but you can't say whether it was bad or good. Her offspring made a living either way. The choices I am talking about are the choices of the things we say and do. Do I choose to loose my temper and say something I will later regret, or do I keep the damaging words to myself? Do I choose to spend time with my children on something that may not be my favorite thing to do, or do I push them aside? These choices, that we make each and everyday, that seem so insignificant at the time, are often the most important choices we make. Dealing with other peoples feelings is a delicate situation that we take for granted anymore.
Thinking in these terms may seem overwhelming, but I tell you, it does not have to be. Asking God to help you make these important choices brings in a partner that will never steer you wrong. He will show you how to navigate through each and every day!
~Blessings!

2 comments:

Amy said...

i love this picture. although, it makes me miss my grandpa a little..maybe i will give him call today. and great thoughts about choices.

Unknown said...

I love old photos, and this one tells a story all by it's self! Nice choice today!