I have a lot on my heart today, and if you are not in the mood for writing of the more serious type feel free to skip today. My heart is just breaking for the teenagers I see on a daily basis. Not only am I a parent of two teens, but I work at the school also. I am a "lunch lady", and I'll tell you what, you would not believe what these kids talk about when their guard is down and they are getting their lunch. I'm right there, and they talk about getting drunk, having sex and the parents that allow this to happen in front of their eyes. I realize everything I hear is not gospel truth. Kids exaggerate, but the mere fact that they want to be known for doing these types of things puts them on dangerous ground. I know, I was one of the those teens. I was mostly talk, but I REALLY needed my parents to know what I was up to and tell me right from wrong. No, I wouldn't have liked to have listened to it. I would not have like to have a curfew. I wouldn't have liked to have rules. But I would have probably been saved a lot of hurt.
Two incidents happened this week that really got me thinking of all this. The first was an eighth grade boy and girl bragging around school that they were going to his house after school to have sex. She went to the counseling office and parents were called. I don't know how the parents reacted, but I know they are the same group of parents that sit and party at my son's little league baseball games. Our actions are being watched by our children. What we say and do is REGISTERING, whether we think it is or not. We do not have to be perfect parents, in fact it helps the relationship along most times when we make mistakes and admit it to our children. But we HAVE to be adults! We have a right, an obligation to tell our children no, to give them boundaries, to PROTECT them. We are not going to be their best friends, we CAN'T be during their teen years.
The second incident I witnessed were three eighth grade girls hopping into a car with an eleventh grade boy. Ok, I admit, this could be totally innocent. I just sat there looking at three girls who were less and less clothes each day, and a boy who is kinda popular but has never had a date. He has the opportunity to sweep these young girls off their feet. They are the types who would absolutely love to say they are dating an older guy with a car. Innocent looking situations get awfully hard to handle in a hurry. These kids all THINK they know what they are doing, if their parents don't tell them differently, or make these situations impossible, trouble happens pretty quick. Kids don't always listen. They can still make bad choices when parents do all they can, but parents can't let down their guard. Our children are a GIFT from God, and we are stewards of that gift.
Pray for your kids today!
I want to elaborate a bit more. I had a phone call as I was getting to the end of this post and feel I may have rushed it a bit. Girls getting into a car with a boy doesn't spell disaster, but these girls have already had trouble. I hope I don't sound judgemental really because it is a TOUGH job being a parent and making good decisions. That is why I need God right along side me every step of the way. Seeing those girls get into that car, knowing that they have made bad choices previously, just made me ache for them. It reminded me to be diligent for my own children's sake. I hope if you read this you understand where I am coming from.
17 comments:
Amen. This is heartbreaking!
It's a tough world out there. I know we have to look within ourselves and accept some of the blame, but I do think the media plays a big part in it. It kind of numbs our kids and us into thinking "EVERYTHING'S OK" when it's not.
It's not enough to say thanks when you bring a healthy baby into the world...It's something you're thankful for every day. Their health and safety and good judgement is a prayer everyday.
kids these days are so more 'grown-up' than we were at that age. It scares the crap out of me for Em is 13. I think parents ought to be more parents than friends to their kids. It is heartbreaking to see and hear of these things going on.
Laura
I don't htink you came across judgemental at all but full of wisdom. My son has to practically hide from some girls, they are so brazen! It's a hard time for our young people, mostly because parents are not being parents, but trying to be cool best friends. You hit the nail on the head when you said parents need to make some decisions FOR their kids. It breaks my heart when I see young people going astray simply because there is no one in their lives to guide them.
Oh by the way: Your brownies and lemonade was delicious! Thanks for the invite.
I do understnad. I posted about this yesterday. I am so thankful my children are grown.
Hugs,
Elizabeth
I know what you are talking about and you were not being judgemental at all. I had 4 girls and all teen at the same time. I had to be tough and sometimes be the mean one. In fact one of my girls told me once 'thanks for being the mean one, I couldn't go somewhere because I said you wouldn't let me'. I thought that's what it is all about. I am very happy with the way they turned out. MB
Thank you for sharing your heart! And thank you for your concern for all those kids. I live with this every day having a 13 year old daughter. It scares me too death to think of what she's exposed to at school and on the internet. But all I can do is pray and watch over her. I know she thinks I'm a meanie sometimes but parenting isn't a popularity contest. I'd rather have her mad and safe! You're a sweetie for caring so much.
You are so right--kids and their parents both need our prayers. I sure hope all was innocent with those eighth grade girls. They just don't realize how all of this will affect and change their life.
Your flower is still gorgeous!
I totally get where you are coming from! I have two teens myself and work up at their school as a sub..boy things sure are different now adays. One thing I have noticed is all the terrible parenting...neglect and abuse. It's heartbreaking isn't it. Sometimes I think God may show us things either to be thankful for our blessings or to pray for the person doing the deed. Thanks for a good "thinking" piece today.
dawn
My thoughts are with you, I know what you are going through. I hear the same stuff at school and I work in the Library. There is not alot we can do. Think Positive
It is heartbreaking. So many times I look at the teens on this island and then look at their parents, or lack there of! No wonder they are drinking, doing drugs and having sex~the parents are too!
They are walking a path to Hell and you were not being judgemental; I understand completely;and I pray.
Vanessa
To me it is sad that our country's morals have reached the state where parents allow their children to wear such immodest clothing, watch really irresponsibly produced TV programs and movies that flaunt sex and pleasure-seeking as the norm, and the standards have been set so low for behavior. It has bothered me for a long time and it also bothers me because I don't see any way to correct it when the mainstream doesn't embrace Godly principles or standards. It certainly is a different world today.
I hear you loud and clear and worry about this too, even though my children are grown. At one time, hopefully in the not too distant future, I'll have grandchildren and there will be an entirely new focus-- their health, safety and well-being. My daughter teaches 2nd grade... it is amazing the way some 7 year old girls are dressing!! It's all about modeling the behavior of those they look up to, sadly; it doesn't look like there are many reputable role models out there. I am praying for the children. Thanks for bringing attention to a very serious subject. Training up children to respect themselves, and others, begins on day one, it's never too early to start laying that foundation...
and all this before the big friday night formal?
did you go to chaperone?
It's sad the things that are out there to tempt and lead our kids astray these days. It's a scary world. I have an older son, who I worry about constantly. My mind and heart stays tormented with worry and fear for him, but all thats a long story. Pray pray pray.
I'm sure the Lord feels just as you do, Bonnie. We need Him now more than ever. Thank you for being a blessing to those kids--your own and the kids at the school where you work. You're so right: they pay much more attention to what we do than to our good intentions or what we say.
I agree with everyone here, and you have every right to be concerned Bonnie. I just wish their parents were half concerned as you are!
Post a Comment