Tuesday, February 27, 2007

What Are You Up To?

Saturday I felt like I drove here, there and everywhere all day long. Just one of those days when things had to get done, kids had to be a few different places and errands had to be taken care of.
Just one of those days! And when I got home, there wasn't an once of energy left for sewing. That sort of bugs me on a Saturday, I feel like I'm "wasting time", but some days other stuff DOES have to get done, and that IS ok!
Now, Sunday was a different story! After that wonderful message I received at church, I came home ready to do some creating. Even though I only have about 4 more log cabin blocks to sew, I just wasn't in the mood. So I turned my attention to a sampler quilt I am starting.
I wanted to use the fabric I received from the 10 inch charm swap and the fat quarter swap over at www.maryjanesfarm.com. I just couldn't see me letting all these beautiful pieces get separated so I decided that a sampler quilt would be just the thing! I have never made any of the blocks involved except for the log cabin block so it has been a fun learning experience. I think it will turn out to be a nice way to remember my farmgirl friends.
I finished the basket block first. I had the pieces cut out already. I don't think it is quite right, because the book mentioned making adjustments for a 12 inch block, but didn't explain the adjustments! I do like how it turned out though.





The next block I made Sunday was a Dolly Madison square. Again, I am not the perfect stitcher, but I love how the colors came out.






I am cutting now for a Flying Geese block. I may get more of that done today, as I am home waiting for the furnace man to come between "10:00 and 1:00"!
Hope all is well for you and yours!
~Blessings

8 comments:

MB said...

Pretty Quilt. I like the way I can see it coming together. MB

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

I love it when technicians get so specific with their time frames! ha!!
The blocks are beautiful, you made up for lost time!

Alpicks Treasures said...

I love those blocks you made. They will look great in what ever you are doing with thm. It looks so hard to do:( Have a good one.

Beemoosie said...

Allison, and anyone out there that admire quilts, would like to do it but thinks it's too hard: take a class. If it's something you think you would enjoy I really recommend taking a class. I spent years admiring quilts and loving fabric, but when I looked at a finished quilt or block it just seemed so overwhelming. Once I took a class, I learned the PROCESS of quilting and learned that taking one step at a time makes the doing so much easier. There is still a lot to learn for me, but I have never been so hooked on any art/craft as I am on quilting.
Thank you ladies for your kind comments!

Rebekah said...

Yes, overwhelming is the word. (And intimidating too.) Your blocks are beautiful. How long do you think it takes (in hours) to make a quilt?

Unknown said...

Just beautiful!! I've thought about taking a class,mabye when we move closer to town. To answer you earlier, yep, were putting the place on the market in a month or so, I need a bigger kitchen and dining room and of course a craft room, plus a fireplace! It's just us now so time for a change!

Mary L. Briggs said...

Love those colors. The blocks turned out great! Can't wait to see the finished product.

Ellen said...

Dear Bonnie,
My Granny always said " the used key shines brightest" ...you certainly make your quilt job look effortless... the shiney key sings pro pro pro.
Thanks for sharing your encouraging spirit! Will you be making a border?