Tuesday, December 05, 2006

A Long Weekend...


and now suddenly it's Tuesday! Whew! My daughter has been sick with asthma like symptoms. You could't really tell she is sick, she has more energy than should be legally possible; then add on the nebulizer meds and she is FULL SPEED! A 14 year old ball of lightening! I am glad this junk doesn't keep her down. I actually think she has walking pneumonia, because she aces the breathing tests. So there will be more consulting with the doctor.

We never got the BIG snow I was hoping for last weekend. Just the artic cold! Last night we had a pretty dusting of snow. It is looking Christmas-y.

I am pretty well caught up on the things I am making for Christmas. I am making my dad a John Deere fleece tie blanket for his birthday this Saturday. He LOVES his tractors and those blankets are so toasty warm. Dad is kinda hard to buy for so I am pretty excited with this idea. I have REALLY enjoyed making gifts this year, and plan to do much more of it for birthdays and Christmas. It is really very gratifying.


I am working on gifts for people in my life who have had a loss or are not feeling well.
I am also making some gifts for friends who seem a little down or overwhelmed this Christmas Season. Don't get me wrong, I have felt this way before; but it makes me feel very sad to see "us" get stressed over a time that should be filled with celebration and joy. I do believe in giving gifts at Christmas; the giving and the love represent so many wonderful things associated with God's love for us. But as with so many good things, the giving has become distorted and can often become something stressful and even detrimental in our lives.

So I encourage you this day to search your heart and seek out why you give. Is it out of love or the feeling that you have to? Are you out to impress or afraid that because you have "always done it that way" that you can't stop? Learn to give from your heart and let go of the things that are just way too much for you. Make this heart check with your time also. It is a very easy time of year to overbook ourselves. Stop and think; say no to the things that are not fulfulling to you and your family; to the things that you do out of habit or guilt. Treat yourself to the things you love and spend extra time with your closest loved ones.

May this season be a time of renewal in our hearts!

7 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog! I hope you come again soon!

By the way-I love to do similar things for gifts...a bar of handmade soap and towel, a jar of home canned goods and a jelly spreader, etc.

Have a great day!

Sue Seibert said...

Hope your daughter is feeling better by now.

Your Christmas questions is so true...we celebrate the commercialism much more than the birth of Christ Jesus.

I think a resolution for me will be do simplify next year. Thanks.

Kelli said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog! This was a wonderful post on giving. This year I am making bookmarks, rose potpourri sachets, homemade jams, and baked items. I am working very hard to not get caught up in the buy, buy, buy!! Thank you for the lovely reminder.
Kelli

smilnsigh said...

"But as with so many good things, the giving has become distorted and can often become something stressful and even detrimental in our lives."

My sentiments exactly. And you've just inspired an entry, in my own blog, which I'm going to write now. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Good post!! I love the pictue, so winterish!! And I LOVE the new blue layout!

Chele said...

I think I saw your blog link on MaryJanes Farmgirl site....I think. I'm a quilter, a mom and have a son that does the breathing thing when he has a cold. I can TOTALLY understand the more energy that what is legal. Been there, experienced that!!!

Thank you so much for posting about the commercialism of this most precious season - the birth of Christ. I am hopeful that next year I'll do better at making gifts instead of buying that Lowe's or Walmart gift card at the last minute. You've inspired me to write something about this on my blog. But for now, I'll continue surfing your site.

Chele said...

I think I saw your blog link on MaryJanes Farmgirl site....I think. I'm a quilter, a mom and have a son that does the breathing thing when he has a cold. I can TOTALLY understand the more energy that what is legal. Been there, experienced that!!!

Thank you so much for posting about the commercialism of this most precious season - the birth of Christ. I am hopeful that next year I'll do better at making gifts instead of buying that Lowe's or Walmart gift card at the last minute. You've inspired me to write something about this on my blog. But for now, I'll continue surfing your site.