- Saturday started with G-Man's baseball game, then a quick peruse of the community yard sales. They were pretty few and far between this year. G-Man made out the best I think with a board game and a John Deere hoodie for $2. I spent $1.85 and came away with some fabric, an oblong crocheted doily, a set of embroidered hankies and a wax envelope sealing kit (like colonial days). We had a going away party to head to in the afternoon. Friends of our are moving to Austin, TX in two weeks. Kelly is pretty crafty let me tell you! She fed us, got us comfortable in the beautiful spring air, then said, "Want a sneak preview of our garage sale?" Well, YEAH!!! Into the barn we headed, I was in bibliophile heaven as I looked upon shelf upon shelf of categorized books!!!! Hundreds of them ALL sorted by genre! So....for another $6.95 I have my summer reading all set before me! Here are the goodies I found:
- Becoming Laura Ingalls Wilder; The Woman Behind the Legend
- The Cowboys (Yes! ANOTHER John Wayne movie)
- Pioneer Women; Voices from the Kansas Frontier
- The Yearling (hardcover school book copy From Studebaker Elem in Des Moines, IA)
- Riders of the Purple Sage (I think I'm starting a Zane Grey collection?)
- Peter Stuyvesant; Makers of America (1893 edition)
- The Blue and the Gray
- The Men Who Built the Transcontinental Railroad 1863-1869 by Stephen Ambrose
My girlfriends were laughing hysterically as with each book I would inhale sharply and just be filled with giddiness! That's ok girls, I know most women don't have the same taste in books as I do! The top three are definite reads this summer. Right now I am reading Widow of the South by Robert Hicks. It's a really good read, very sombre and probably quite realistic for some tastes, but knowing it's based on a true story has kept me glued to it.
Well, besides picnicking and shopping, I also made a quilt top this weekend. A very small quilt, I think it is 40 x 40. I while back I showed you all some cute kids outdoorsy fabrics I bought. They were intended for my friends baby shower and this week I knew I had to get going as her shower is June 30th. I found a pattern I liked in Small Quilts magazine and got going. I am amazed at how quickly it all came together. And I loved how it turned out! I have pictures right here, but unfortunately I am back to using my and my daughters cameras and I can't get either one of them to upload pictures!! I work on that later!
Speaking of work, it's about time to get ready! Just this week...hopefully. Some of the ladies want to stretch the clean-up into next week. I will try hard to go with the flow, and pray!
~Blessings!
11 comments:
I would love to read the same books you are going to read! I tell myself all the time that I'm going to find some good wholesome books to read, but I don't know when I would ever read them. I would rather work on my needlepoint in my free time. However, I did just finish reading "Though None Go With Me" by Jerry B Jenkins. It was a GREAT book for good Christian reading! I'm proud that you made a quilt top this weekend... you go girl!
I'm with you. The top 3 are the ones to read. I use to work at our school in the lunch room too and drove a bus. I love the jobs but the pay wasn't much. I wish I could go back to the school. My problem was, we didn't get paid during the summer. We only got paid for the hours we worked, which wasn't much.
Can't wait to see the quilt.
Have a good one.
Laura
Sounds like you made out really good. I have the Pioneer Women book. It's an interesting insight into their lives. As far as a planned (I don't plan anything) summer read, no I'll just pick something up when the mood strikes. I have enough reading on that bookcase to last me a lifetime I'm afraid. I still buy more though. Hey, thanks for visiting my blog and have a great day!
yea Bon, lots of new books! Like so many of us I have several here to read yet and keep buying more. You have been busy, school will be out soon.
NANCY JO
Yes, I'm a huge fan of John Wayne. Wanna hear something? My last name is Morrison, and his real name was Morrison. Tales from the family say there is a connection but it's so far down the line. Ain't that weird? Being a fan of his and then finding out you married some of his family. Like I said, I don't know for sure that is just what the family has said.
Just remember us in your prayers today for the surgery. I fell like everything will be smooth, too.
Have a good one.
Laura
What great bargains; I love picking up secondhand books for summer reading and yours all sound good!
Debbie
Those books sound just right. I loved The Yearling. Something I wanted to do but knew I couldn't/shouldn't. Happy Summer. MB
Great weekend report! I'm eager to see the quilt, and happy for your book finds! Enjoy...
Sounds like a lovely weekend to me! My dad is a great Zane Gray fan. We used to live near his home in Zanesville, Ohio. I've been to a a museum in honor of him a few times. Just some random info about me!
I have the Pioneer Women book--you will LOVE it! And you will be glad you never lived in a dug-out house! Now I understand why Ma Ingalls complained about it so much! Oh how I would love to cruise through that barn of books! You got some great deals!
I'm tired just listening to all you've been up to, Bonnie! Congrats on your new books. Isn't the "thrill of the hunt" great?!
I need to get busy with my quilting. I have a friend in a new home, so I think I'm going to make her a table topper. It's quick, and if she hates it, I won't feel too bad about all the time and money invested. :O)
Congrats on almost getting to your summer. I know just what you mean about those eager kiddos wanting to go here and there. My dd always wants to know, "what's the plan for today?". Argh! Can't it wait till after I've had my coffee? Suddenly, I'm like a social director for a cruise line. LOL
Blessings to you this week, Friend.
Post a Comment