Monday, April 14, 2008

Good Bye

As I write this and look at her picture it still does not seem real. At the same time it seems self-serving and ridiculous to be so torn up over a pet. But somehow, as it happens in many families, she was so much more.

Yes, Friday it was time to say goodbye. Jasmine was almost 12 and we found out in January that she had bone cancer. Since her diagnoses she had done remarkable well, even by our vet's standards. But last Sunday I noticed a change. She was still fighting with every ounce of energy she had to be where I was and follow her routines, but it was getting difficult for her. My husband and I agreed at the beginning that when her quality of life diminished we would do the responsible thing. We knew it was coming, but boy is it hard.

Funny thing is, is that she is my "husband's dog". When we married he wanted a dog. He had grown up with dogs but years of living in apartments had deprived him of that companionship. I had only had one dog when I was quite young and had grown up with cats. I didn't dislike dogs at all, I'm an animal lover. I just never thought about getting one. What set me back a little was the fact that he wanted a rottweiler. I had only know what I had seen on the news and other media of these big dogs. They didn't sound like the type of dog I wanted around my two children and daycare. To make a long story short, DH took me the breeder who was a sweet older woman who told me stories of her children and grandchildren growing up with these lovely dogs. She had a mama with pups, and I fell in love with the fact that mama let us handle her pups and just asked us for some lovin for herself. We got to pick from the litter.

My husband's dog became my shadow. She let our children dress her up, she like to play and romp with DH, but she always knew where I was. She didn't let me close a door behind me in the house, she'd scratch and whine if she couldn't nudge through it herself. She usually didn't get up until I got up in the morning, then she did her "boney dance" for a milk bone and we went outside. Whatever I had to do for the day, she would be nearby. If I was sewing, she would be on the couch in the sewing room (the only piece of furniture she was allowed on). And oh, how I will miss here when the weather warms and I can garden or take my book out to the spot we sat at under the apple trees.

So you get the picture. I'm trying to be adult and realize this is part of life, but every step I take seems to remind me that she's not here. It was weird when I realized that in the almost 12 years we have had her, I've never been alone!

I will smile at her memory soon. She left us plenty to smile about. I miss my puppy, but I thank her for being such a good friend.

~Blessings

17 comments:

Needled Mom said...

Despite the fact that you knew the time was coming, it is always so difficult to have it be finalized. It does sound like she was a wonderful companion and a loved member of the family.

My husband and I have recently had the same discussion about our 14 year old dog. We've had to do it twice before and it does NOT get any easier.

I know that you will miss her tremendously, but it must give you some peace to know that she is not in pain anymore. I'm glad that you are left with so many happy memories.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry your friend is no longewr with you, what great companions they are and so loyal.

Elaine Adair said...

What a lovely miracle that a pet and a human can develop such deep bonds. While you will miss her, she was also blessed to have YOU as her human. 8-)

Aunt Jo said...

I'm so sorry. Take comfort in knowing she's not in pain. ((Hugs)).

Unknown said...

I had to go get a hankie, you got me boo-hooing! I know your pain all too well, and cry, it does help as these wonderful creatures do become apart of our family. Sending you hugs dear Bonnie!

2 LMZ FARMS said...

So sorry to hear about your beloved pet. They do become family. Take care and hope you and yours have a blessed day.

Farmhouse Blessings said...

I can feel your heart in this post and my heart is hurting for you, Bonnie. I'm so sorry. It is hard to lose a friend even when they're furry and have paws. I'm so glad that you have so many loving memories. I pray that in time, they'll bring you much comfort.

Farmgirl Hugs,
Lea

Tina Leavy said...

we get so attached to our fur babies. they become so much a part of our lives and families and love us unconditionally.
hugs to you.

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry Bonnie! Big Hugs to you and your family. It is hard losing our animal friends as they are part of our family. Carrie

Paula said...

Oh, I'm so sorry...
It's never ridiculous to be upset over a pet, they truly become such a part of your life, it's like losing a family member. I cry over chickens!
I'm so sorry... ((hugs))

Alpicks Treasures said...

I know that feeling about putting down a dog. You can never replace them even with a new one, but as time goes by it will be easier. Hang in there

Day4plus said...

A sweet tribute to a sweet friend. You have a wonderful way with words. Bonnie. MB

Renie Burghardt said...

ixkOh, I'm so sorry, Bonnie! I cried while I read this. My good boy Rottie, Oscar, went to doggie heaven 9 months ago. He was 11, and had bone cancer as well. I still miss him so much. It is so hard to take, but the sweet memories help.

Take care!

Renie

Renie Burghardt said...

Oops, I dunno how that ixk got there! Sorry for the mess up. :-)

Cora from Hidden Riches said...

Now I'm crying!!!! I can only say that I do understand. I've been there. My lab, Breezy, was my 24 hour a day companion and friend. She knew my heart, my secrets, my joys and my pain. Somehow, she just knew. When she got cancer, I ached more than she did, but I still remember the day when she looked into my eyes and told me it was time. There is never a day I don't think about her -- mostly with smiles now at the memories.
It's ok to cry! We're all crying here with you! Cora

Sugarplum Cottage said...

I feel your pain. We had a sitz-poo that got ran over a year ago the 14th of this month and I'm still not over it. Ask God to give you comfort and to ease the pain. When the accident happened to Abby I had my church praying that prayer for me. Just be glad you got to love her for 12 years.


I pray right now in the name of Jesus that he bring comfort to your heart.

Hugs, RoseMarie

Lainey said...

Bonnie, I'm so sorry about Jasmine, I know it has to be hard. I have tears in my eyes too after reading this. I also wanted to thank you for stopping by my blog the other day and giving me encouragement and praying for me when I needed it. You are a beautiful and kind spirit Bonnie. Thanks so much.

Hugs!