Monday, April 07, 2008

Farmgirl Blog-a-thon: Tie One On!

Our dear friend Tina, at http://gardengoose.blogspot.com/ is hosting a Farmgirl Blog-A-Thon. There will be a different them each week. This week's theme is aprons!! Near and dear to my heart. She asked us to pick a favorite, that was kind of tought. I have aprons from farmgirl friends that I treasure. The friendship and love they pass along to me through their work is priceless!! I also have a few that I have picked up on-line or in thrift shops. These are not as sentimental, but often they are made of a darling vintage fabric that caught my eye.

The dearest ones to me though are from my grandmother. She actually thinks I'm kinda silly loving aprons ( I DO wear them also!) for she was relieved when they went out of style. She says they were just more laundry to do! Being a "modern woman" my mother never wore them at all! But the aprons grandma gave me are precious, one was even her mother's and another was her grandmothers! The apron I have pictured here she never wore. She passed it on to me half embroidered. It's a favorite because I finished her work and now I have something that she and I worked on "together"!

I have always had a heart for farm life and making things homemade as often as possible. I stumbled onto one of MaryJane Butter's books two years ago and found many kindred spirits. Please take the time to check out her website, there is definitely something for everyone there!!

http://www.maryjanesfarm.org/

11 comments:

Renie Burghardt said...

How neat that you finished embroidering the apron your grandma gave you! It's so cute, too.

Funny, I never wore aprons either, but have enjoyed your post about them. Tina's too!

Take care, Bonnie!

Renie

Nancy Jo said...

Hi Bon,
That is a cute Apron. I have a bunch of them, and like you the family and friends ones are my favorites.
How is school going?
NANCY JO

Farmhouse Blessings said...

Oh I can see why you adore that apron. It is just darling. I just love that you and your grandmother both worked on it. What a treasure!

Blessings,
Lea

Tina Leavy said...

love your apron Bonne..you know I have something a bit similar to you..my granny had given me some quilt squares a long time ago..of state birds that she had embroidered by hand..I took the time to hand sew the entire quilt..stitching every square together by hand then hand sewing the backing and lace edging onto it, then hand tying it with tiny yellow ribbons. I figured it was the least I could do after she had hand embroidered all of those squares.
Love your apron and story.
thanks for sharing, and so glad you have joined in the blog a thon!
~Tina

2 LMZ FARMS said...

I love your apron. I think that's wonderful that you have one that you both worked on. My kids laugh at me when I put my aprons on but I caught the girls the other day putting aprons on when they were in the kitchen. HMMM.... wonder where they picked that from.lol Hope you and yours have a blessed day.

Needled Mom said...

What a beautiful apron. The work on it is stunning.

Debra said...

Hi! Just wanted to drop by and say thanks for your encouraging comments at my blog! They are much appreciated. Loved your apron and Mary Jane is the best, isn't she? One smart woman, indeed, and I'm hoping to become a real-live farmgirl, too, if we do get to buy this farmhouse. Thanks again! Blessings, Debra

Anonymous said...

I love the apron! I know what you mean about feeling connected to your mother by finishing off what she started. Do you remember ARTEX? That was the only crafty thing she did and some of them you had to color in and then do the stitching which she never did so I finished them years later, it makes me feel connected to her past in a way....jenn

Jessica said...

I love the embroidery on that apron. Too pretty and a great story behind it.

Katie said...

Isn't it funny that grandma sees aprons as more laundry?? And we see them as practical, yes, but also as a connection, a piece of women's history.

In any case, thanks for sharing your special apron. I love it.

Unknown said...

I can see why you love your grandmas aprons the best, such memories! Hope I'm not too late to enter the giveaway!