Friday, September 14, 2007

What a Week!



As I mentioned before, I started my new job as a teacher's aide Wednesday. After 3 days, I can't tell you how much I love my job. I start my day in the Health office taking attendance for 6-12 grades, listing the early dismissals and that sort of thing. That takes about an hour and a half. Then I go to Algebra!! Two of my students are in that class and need me there to take notes and occasionally give them further explanations on certain concepts. I was never a math wiz, but I was not asked and I never told! And Praise God, I actually get it!! I am actually having a ball taking notes and figuring problems and stretching the ol' gray matter between the ears!!

Now, after this class, I am bopping down back to my old job in the cafeteria and doing as much of my old duties as I can in my dress clothes. This will only happen for two more weeks, but after the first day I was so exhausted I didn't know how I'd make it. It got easier as the week went on though. After two more weeks that time will be filled with possibly lunchroom or study hall monitoring and helping my math kids with their homework.

Next comes my favorite part of the day. The teacher I work with teaches a 9-12 Lifeskills class. This includes what is called consumer math; filling out and understanding time cards, pay scales, shopping lists etc.; English and vocab and a bit of social studies. Usually I get to help the 9th graders with their vocabulary. They have worksheets and games that they play. I am excited because they seem to have let me right in and we have a lot of fun together.

Things are never the same and I am always learning. I know, it's only been three days, but you should see this big ol' smile on my face!

Ah, but my feet are a bit achy from my maybe not so sensible shoes, so I am glad it's Friday!

Have a blessed weekend!

13 comments:

Gretchen said...

You will sleep so well tonight! :) I bet you're that "bone-weary, did something worthwhile and I'm proud of myself and thankful to God" tired. Have a great, restful weekend. xxxooogretchen

2 LMZ FARMS said...

So glad that you are enjoying your new job. Hope you and yours have a blessed evening.
Laura

Alpicks Treasures said...

You will learn alot just being around them. I was an aide for years and all age levels. Have fun and get alot of rest, you'll need it.

suzyhomemaker said...

Bonnie, I am thrilled you got a new job and it is the teacher's aide position. I truly feel you will be a blessing to these young adults.

Now, I helped with Special Ed kids my entire senior year. And it can be frustrating to explain math over and over. But, remember that you are helping these kids. Whatever they get, it will be feeling safe and secure with you as their helper. In the long run it is not about algebra, but it is about helping.

I am so pleased you are switching over and pray it will be a blessing to you and them.

JANET said...

Hope you are rested up. This is a new week! Glad you like your job.

Patti said...

I am so glad your new job is working out so very well. You are right - you can definitely make a difference in these children's lives. Gives you a great reason to get up to go to work each morning, doesn't it.

Anonymous said...

been thinking of you bonnie!

Nancy Jo said...

HI BON,
So glad to hear your new job is working out so well, kind of scary to change things. good for you.
Did you see where Mary Beth said they had to put her horse down. The one KAYLEE has been riding? Very sad.
NANCY JO

Gretchen said...

I hope things are still going well for you, Bonnie.

Gretchen

Mary L. Briggs said...

congrats--so glad you are loving your job, Bonnie. Get some rest on your days off!

Tina Leavy said...

glad to read that your new job is going well. happy for you!

wanted to invite you to visit my blog..having a little drawing over there this week..hope you'll join the fun.

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Good for you! I am so happy to read the sheer delight oozing out of you, what a thrill to have a job that's not a "job" at all, but a joy!

smilnsigh said...

A wonderful reaction to a new beginning!!!!! Joy and excitement. It doesn't get much better than this!

Except...

Maybe...

More sensible shoes on Monday?

,-)

Mari-Nanci